Your parents’ needs will change as they enter retirement and settle into their golden years. As you help them get comfortable at this age, it’s important to evaluate their housing options. While some seniors prefer aging in place rather than downsizing, those staying in the family home may require additional accessibility features.
10 Home Features for Older Adults
Ten residential features for older adults to make their existing property more comfortable include:
- Residential elevators or stairlifts: Residential elevators can make two-story homes more accessible. Stairlifts are another option that can restore independence and prevent injuries. They’re one of the quickest and most cost-effective aging-in-place home modifications you can make.
- Wheelchair ramps: Ramps allow wheeled objects such as carts, strollers and wheelchairs to access vehicles, steps and other raised landings easily. Scooter and wheelchair users can use these inclined planes at entrances to their homes.
- Handrails and grab bars in bathrooms: Bathtub steps, support rails, toilet safety frames and grab bars will provide extra support in the bathrooms.
- Walk-in tubs and showers: Grab bars and low thresholds help prevent falls and make walk-in tubs safer.
- Easily opening door handles: Doorknob extensions are easier to grab and pull down than typical fixtures. Extensions offer a 5-inch lever that overlays the existing doorknob.
- Fall-protection flooring: Compared to vinyl flooring, low-impact flooring can reduce the severity of injury in the event of a fall. Underlay under carpets can also help reduce impact.
- Safe lighting: Keeping rooms lit appropriately is an easy way to help older adults stay independent and safe.
- Intuitive thermostats and appliances: Accessible appliances and thermostats can make life easier for downsizing older adults.
- Personal emergency response systems: Medical alert systems allow older adults to live with peace of mind knowing that help is just a button away.
- Single-level designs, open floor plans and multilevel counters: These features allow for greater accessibility, safety, energy efficiency and easier maintenance and renovations. Single-story homes make the best use of square footage while eliminating the need to travel up and downstairs.
Discuss Downsizing With Cates Auction & Realty Company Today
You want the world for your parents, and we can help you evaluate whether additional home features are the best option. Many times, a space built for downsizing seniors is more affordable and convenient.
At Cates Auction & Realty Company, we assist Kansas City Metro Area seniors with a simplified downsizing process. With a smaller home, your parents can create new a space to fill with memories.
Contact Cates Auction Real Estate Company today to learn more.